Skip to main content

A "Sudden" Slow-Motion Suicide?

"He died suddenly."

That's one of the lines from the obit of The Man Formerly Known as The One. Yes...the guy I dated earlier last year. The guy I left to date New Boo. He passed away Monday night. His sister found him slumped over in their bathroom. The paramedics worked on him for almost an hour, but he was already gone.

To say I was shocked would be a gross understatement. I was completely floored that a 50-year-old man would die. When I thought about our last interactions, I was sad. I wish there was something I could've said that would've turned him around. Alas, I won't get the chance now.

As I told you before, The Man Formerly Known as The One was moody, aloof, and sometimes surly. And from what I'm told, he was like that until the very end.

His brother was the one who broke the news to me with a simple Facebook message that said, "FYI, [The Man Formerly Known as The One] died tonight. No details. No trauma."

Huh?

Note to self -- that is NOT the way to alert someone of a death. Never. And call me crazy if you must, but if there was death, there was DEFINITELY trauma somewhere. Fortunately, I got the story from his sister later.

His brother wrote a moving obituary for his baby brother where he talked about how much he loved him and how he'd be missed. I concur. When TMFKATO was good, he was really good. However, I took issue with the assessment that he died suddenly.

Alcoholism is an ugly, wretched disease that robs a person of everything that matters. And while it may look like TMFKATO's death was sudden, it really wasn't. It was a slow-motion suicide that took years to complete. I know that everyone becomes wonderful in death. I get that. I also know that TMFKATO's family has the kind of prominence that won't allow for anyone to know the real truth of his passing. But I wish he would've said, "He suffered from an illness for several years before he died."

My heart hurts -- not only for his family, but for him. I wish I could've been the salve his heart needed. Maybe if we had worked out, he would've had the strength to get off the bottle. But we didn't, and while I could waste time working out scenarios in my head, I decided not to do that. After all, I wasn't the cause of his drinking, and there was nothing I could say or do that would've stopped the inevitable.

RIP, The Man Formerly Known as The One. I wish you could've found what you were looking for outside of the bottle.

Comments

JB said…
Oh, I am so sorry to hear of this loss. I know that it's not an ordinary loss, but it is a loss, nevertheless. Take good care of yourself.

Popular posts from this blog

A New Possibility?

If you've been reading EFTDOAD for any length of time, you've probably noticed that I haven't really talked about a man. By that, I mean a man of my own. What's really sad is that there hasn't been a man in my life for the entire time I've been writing this blog. I hate that. However, things may be looking up for me. One of my good friends hosts a forum in Los Angeles called " Battle of the Sexes ." This monthly event consists of guys and girls submitting questions anonymously to the moderators, with the answers being discussed in an open forum. It can get quite rowdy, and the discussions are always enlightening. For most of us, it's the first time we've really heard what members of the opposite sex think. I've been attending these Battles for a few months now. Even though I'm not a fan of mindless rhetoric, it's cool to be around some single people who can think and put together coherent sentences. The last couple of times I'v
There's always that one. The one person you'd change your entire life for if they asked you to. Whether it's the first man you ever loved, the first guy who saw you naked, or the first man to bring you flowers, if he said, "Marry me, and travel with me around the world," you'd quit your job and hop on the first thing smoking. Alas, I haven't met him yet. Actually...that's not true. I have met him. But he doesn't want me. So rather than admit that the one guy I'd leave it all for wouldn't be caught dead with me, I say we don't know each other. I read an article this week that I found to be very informative. It was talking about how men will use any woman who allows herself to be used. And while I know beyond the shadow of a doubt that I don't want that kind of life, I recognized myself in all those women. I've been there. And there are times (like today) when it would be nice to have someone around...even if they're

The Five Commandments of Houseguests

It's Sunday night, and I just put one of my girlfriends on the plane. She's a great person, but this weekend wore on me like none other. In her defense, she's in mourning. Her husband just died in September, and she's learning how to live again. They had been together since high school and now he's gone. That being said...there was NO excuse for the way she acted this weekend. Please understand...I'm not perfect. Never have been. And now that I'm 40, I don't feel the need to apologize for it. But NO ONE gets to make me feel inferior in MY house. Absolutely not! My house wasn't exactly in tip-top shape. I work two jobs, sing in the church choir, and try to work out with my trainer twice a week. So my house wasn't really ready for her. Then I realized that my mind wasn't ready for her, either. Even when we were in school, she wasn't the friend I could hang out with every day. More than that, she came with the very mentality th